[python-uk] Python Programming on Win32

Toby Watson toby at thetobe.com
Tue Mar 2 09:24:37 EST 2004

Hi,

Hmmm. I don't actually think the book is that out of date. Lots of the
stuff about Mark Hammond's Win32 extensions is still relevant.

However I would say that it is missing coverage in some places. I find
wxPython easier and of course more portable than developing Win32 apps
with the procedural Win32 API or PythonWin.

ctypes should be included in any revision. It's really cool for
accessing all odd Windows APIs that no one has wrappered yet. You can
also access COM frameworks that don't support automation with some
effort, like DirectShow for example.
http://starship.python.net/crew/theller/ctypes/

It depends what you want to do really, doesn't it always?

I guess if you had specific lines of enquiry the list would be glad to
help.

cheers,
Toby