[python-uk] Python uk meetup

Andy Todd andy47 at halfcooked.com
Wed Mar 24 02:51:45 EST 2004

Stuart Bishop wrote:

> On 23/03/2004, at 1:03 AM, Chris Withers wrote:
>
>> Tim Couper wrote:
>>
>>> I'd be happy to meet up in the London area -
>>> Paddington was a convenient spot .. but maybe it isn't
>>> now ...
>>

>> If it's in the evening, I'd be up for trying to make it along.
>

> And if you have another one in May, count me in. I'll be in the UK
> for three months and would like to catch up with the locals.
>
> Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced dialup ISP? I'll be connected
> about 12 hours a day for three months. Extra points for POP's outside
> of London.
>
> - --  Stuart Bishop <stuart at stuartbishop.net>
> http://www.stuartbishop.net/

Welcome to the mother country ;-)

As for dial-up ISPs, you may have hit a snag. Unlike in dear old Oz all
telephone calls are charged on a timed basis in these parts. So instead
of dialling up for 20 cents and then paying a flat rate to your ISP most
casual use dial-up plans simply use a premium rate number and charge you
by the minute. For occassional use I've found Intelynx
(http://www.intelynx.net/intelynx.htm) useful and reliable.

You can get fixed rate dial up from the major ISPs (BT/Yahoo, Freeserve,
AOL, etc.) but they almost universally insist that you nominate a single
number to dial from and that it be a BT line. The general price for
these is around £15 a month. It is ok if you are a single location and
usually only takes a week or so to provision. Virtually all of the ISPs
I have encountered cover the whole country. For an exhaustive list try;

http://directory.google.com/Top/Regional/Europe/United_Kingdom/Business_and_Economy/Internet/Internet_Service_Providers/

Regards,
Andy