[python-uk] Python evening talks in London: Ten lines of code

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Sun Mar 18 00:39:26 CET 2007

On 17/03/07, Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
> > I've never used WMI
>
> Just in case (and it's mildly ambiguous from your
> one-liner above): WMI is an API for monitoring and
> to some extent controlling your Windows-based system,
> *not* a user-interface-building toolset. Obviously,
> you might have meant above: write a user interface
> to some WMI stuff, but I read it as: use WMI to write
> a user interface. If it's the former, I'm very happy
> to think up some kind of way in which you can use
> WMI to do *something* which we can build an interface
> to. Don't know what, though!

Funnily enough, my company's business revolves around a "discovery
engine" which is entirely written in python.  It uses wmi, ssh, snmp
and other technologies to find and gather information from customers'
server estates.  We use omniORB (it's developer works for us),
BerkeleyDB, and a whole host of other technologies.  Perhaps I could
get some of our engineers to present some talks too.  I'm sure one of
them can explain wmi too!

Pete