[python-uk] [pyconuk] Proposed PyCon UK UnConference, 5th September

Nicholas Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Fri Aug 7 11:25:39 CEST 2009


I won't be able to attend on the 5th Sept as my brother is getting  
married on that date. Nevertheless, I still have some questions:

How many attendees are needed for a viable event to take place..?

As £2k is steep given the number of delegates (or lack thereof) how  
about a different venue for smaller numbers?

Perhaps a venue that would attract geeks anyway, would be sympathetic  
to our needs and "we" (the Python community) already know of it?

Bletchley Park..?

Positives: Half way between London and Birmingham and walking distance  
from (the relatively well connected) Bletchley station. Existing  
relationship with BP - we'd probably only need a couple of the huts  
for an informal gathering. Lots of computers. They have a cafeteria  

Negatives: Internet connection (lack of) - we'd need to check. Cost..?  
Would they be willing to "lend" the use of a couple of huts if  
"delegates" pay the entrance fee (about £10 iirc) or for a small  
charge..? Change of venue requires re-advertising. Insurance? (Is this  
needed should this be so much an "un" conference that the venue is  
only the "borrowing" of a couple of huts and we'd all just be visitors  
to a museum - a sort of un-conference "picnic").

Just throwing ideas up in the air. Please shoot them down.

Also, I live about 20mins from BP and I know there are others close by  
- should this idea have wings I'd be more than happy to be a body on  
the ground before the event.


On 7 Aug 2009, at 09:34, René Dudfield wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 6, 2009 at 6:43 PM, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk 
> > wrote:
> In case anyone didn't spot it, the URL to book at is:
>   http://pyconuk.org/booking.html
> Michael
> John Pinner wrote:
> Hi,
> We confirmed the Unconference - http:///pyconuk.org <http://pyconuk.org 
> > - a couple of weeks ago and announced it on the pyconuk and python- 
> uk lists.
> Regrettably there has been a very poor response (2 delegates, and  
> one of those is me!) so faced with venue and insurance costs of  
> approx £2k to cover it looks like we will have to cancel. Very  
> disappointing given the high level of interest expressed at  
> EuroPython.
> Unless of course there is a sudden rush...
> We'll give it until the middle of next week before making a final  
> decision.
> Best wishes,
> John
> --
> Cool, I've booked it!
> Looking forward to meeting some uk python peoples.
> I hope it goes ahead... I was planning to book it earlier, but  
> forgot about it.  I imagine others also need reminding :)
> cu,
> _______________________________________________
> python-uk mailing list
> python-uk at python.org
> http://mail.python.org/mailman/listinfo/python-uk

More information about the python-uk mailing list