[python-uk] <?python ...?>

Doug Winter doug at isotoma.com
Tue Mar 3 08:57:42 CET 2009

Malte Beckmann wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Just wrote my first 30 odd python scripts and loving this language.
>
> But do, however, have a burning question on my mind.
>
> Why can I not just do <?python ... ?> in my webpages like I can do with
> PHP?

I believe mod_python does support this style of programming:

http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/python/2004/02/26/python_server_pages.html

Although I've not tried it, and some of the links google suggested were
quite dead.

Generally I think embedding bits of code in a tag soup is generally
regarded as a pretty poor way of building anything other than the most
trivial applications.

I suggest you take a look at Django:

http://www.djangoproject.com/

This gives you everything you'd get with the page-embedded style, but
gives allows you to do Real Programming too.

Cheers,

Doug.

--
Isotoma, Open Source Software Consulting - http://www.isotoma.com
Tel: +44 1904567349, Mobile: +44 7879423002, Fax: +44 2079006980

Registered in England.  Company No 5171172.  VAT GB843570325.
Regd Office: 3&4 Park Court, Riccall Road, Escrick, York, YO19 6ED