[python-uk] python-uk Digest, Vol 69, Issue 1

John Pinner funthyme at gmail.com
Thu May 7 22:43:11 CEST 2009

Hello,

2009/5/7 john maclean <jayeola at gmail.com>:

<snips>

> Are many people actually using python 3?

Probably not - yet.

But if you are developing new software you should be using Python 3,
ready for when it becomes the default in Linux distributions (already
it is, in Ubuntu 9.04).

Python 3 offers several advantages over Python 2, notably consistent
string handling (always Unicode), as well as removal of cruft built up
since 1991, and most significantly that's where future language and
library development will take place.

At Clockwork we've started porting our codebase, which involves quite
a lot of work as we have masses of Python 2 stuff. and having finished
porting our C extensions I can report that Python 3 is indeed a big
improvement, but it's nothing to be frightened of, it's like meeting
an old friend who's had a makeover.

Best wishes,

John