[python-uk] Next Codo Dojo organisation meetup

Paul Nasrat pnasrat at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 22 09:21:46 CEST 2009

2009/9/21 Nicholas Tollervey <ntoll at ntoll.org>:
> Hi,
>
> First off, apologies for the very late notice of this meet-up... date
> clashes between those who had already volunteered their services meant we'd
> be organising the thing with a week's notice.
>
> What? A meetup to discuss, plan and sort out the next London Python code
> dojo (happening on the 15th October 2009, 6:30pm)
>
> Where? http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/72/728/George/Temple (the
> usual pub)
>
> When? Tomorrow (Tuesday 22nd September) at 7pm
>
> Why? Work out the baby-steps needed to get the thing going next time, define
> the appropriate tests, format changes to improve the flow.
>
> See you there...!

Not sure if I can make it, but here is what I'd suggest as potential
starting points:

Who is the audience and what do we want to practice?

The group last time seemed split between people who had quite a lot of
working experience of python and those with less. We should make sure
we know the split at the start of the dojo.

I'd avoid gui, make the input/output text only, possibly provide the
skeleton for the IO but with a failing test.  IE just have the main
loop. The other option is to make it a Django app, using a model and a
simple table/form based submission.

Given I am not playing the game
When I start a new game
Then the game should say “Welcome to tictactoe”

And have the game say You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike

Have the first few failing tests something around start or end to try
drive the model

As a player
Given an empty board
When I choose a square
Then that square has a O in

We can start naive (random computer placement) and improve the
algorithm to try win (try to place on a axis next to own piece,
identify 2 in a row), might want to seed the initial driver or
co-pilot (not both).

Maybe if there is time or half way try and throw in a new requirement
(10x10 board 5 in a row wins)

I've seen tictactoe been used effectively to teach legacy code vs
tested code refactorings at Agile2009.

http://code.google.com/p/ugly-and-clean-tictactoe/source/browse/trunk/ugly-and-clean-tictactoe

Paul