[python-uk] 2nd London Python Dojo - 18:30 15 October 2009 at Fry-IT

Nicholas Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Mon Sep 28 12:55:13 CEST 2009

Paul,

Thanks for the feedback!

By shared learning outcome I'm assuming you mean a specific skill or
item of knowledge that has been explained and practiced/exercised
during the dojo? If so, then the honest answer is no, we don't have
specific learning outcomes defined.

I suspect this is due to the way in which the tic-tac-toe problem was
arrived at during the plenary at the end of the last dojo. Thinking
back, it strikes me we were evaluating suggestions in terms of their
difficulty (or lack thereof) and "fun". Activities and problems were
suggested and a consensus arrived at. I don't think this lack of
learning focus is a problem as I believe learning will emerge from the
general chaos that will ensue.

Nevertheless Paul, you have prompted a question: how do we decide what
to do next..?

At the end of the next meeting we (as a group) could do two things:
choose an activity on its own merit (fun, skill level,
"interestingness", whatever) as we did last time *or* choose an
activity because of its usefulness in exploring a "deeper" problem,
skill or topic (for example, finding out about binary search trees
with a "20 questions" game).

Perhaps something to think about before next time..? Bonus points for
suggestions and examples. ;-)

Finally, http://www.pythonchallenge.com/ has always struck me as a fun
thing to do in a group with the simple aim of expanding one's
knowledge of Python's capabilities and libraries. Perhaps something
fun for a Xmas "special"..?

As always, comments, suggestions, feedback and ideas most welcome.

Best wishes,

Nicholas.