[python-uk] London Python Roles

John Pinner funthyme at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 21:27:59 CET 2010

HI,

On 13 December 2010 19:36, Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
> On 13/12/2010 7:27 PM, John Pinner wrote:
>>
>> On 13 December 2010 16:31, Alec Battles<alec.battles at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Am I the only one who considers this a bit spammy?
>>>

>> No ;-)
>>
>> On some other lists to which I subscribe, agencies are regarded as the
>> lowest of the low and are banned.
>
> I'm genuinely surprised by this reaction which comes up
> even more forcefully on the main Python lists. It seems
> like a reasonable use of a (technically and geographically)
> focused mailing list. You might not like job agencies, but
> there doesn't seem to be anything intrinsically wrong with
> them.
>
> Am I missing something? Is some kind of Linux-culture thing
> which doesn't spill over...?

You're probably missing the employer's view, from which perspective
they provide a very low level of service, often bordering on the
incompetent, and at a very high price.

I don't think it's anything to do with Linux culture, except that they
all seem incapable of recognising that the requirements of a Linux
shop differ from an MS shop, and persist in proposing people with MSCE
and Access 'database' experience...

And there are Python and Linux job boards...

John