[python-uk] London Python Roles

richard barran gurgeh73 at free.fr
Mon Dec 13 22:17:14 CET 2010

On 13 Dec 2010, at 19:36, Tim Golden wrote:
> I'm genuinely surprised by this reaction which comes up
> even more forcefully on the main Python lists. It seems
> like a reasonable use of a (technically and geographically)
> focused mailing list. You might not like job agencies, but
> there doesn't seem to be anything intrinsically wrong with
> them.
>
> Am I missing something? Is some kind of Linux-culture thing
> which doesn't spill over...?

+1
The Python community is still very small; I was surprised at the last Europython to discover that most of the people present did not earn a wage from Python. Anything that helps more pythonistas earn a living from their passion is good IMO.
While I can understand strong opposition on the main Python list (which is about the language itself), python-uk is a low-volume list for discussions about the Python *community* in this country... and jobs are a part of that.
Obviously, once tens of thousands of UK devs earn their living from Python, then I will join the "NO" camp :-)