[python-uk] Tell us what you did with Python this year....

Will McGugan will at willmcgugan.com
Mon Dec 20 19:33:31 CET 2010

Not sure if I'll allowed to discuss the day job, but in my off time I've
been developing pyfilesystem (http://code.google.com/p/pyfilesystem/).

I recently added the ability to open filesystems with a url, and created a
bunch of command line applications which make use of that. This turned out
to be an insanely useful and versatile feature (IMHO).

Here are some examples of what you can do the command line apps:

Display a file on an ftp server:
    fscat ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/README

Serve an ftp site over http, effectively creating a ftp to http gateway:
    fsserve ftp://ftp.mozilla.org

Display the directory structure of a zip file:
    fstree zip://myzip.zip

Copy all the log files on an sftp server to a zip file on an ftp server:
    fscp sftp://will:password@example.org/logs/*.log zip:
ftp://ftp.example.org/pub/archivedlogs.zip

Mount a ram drive in your home directory
    fsmount ~/ramdrive mem://

Its all in the repo trunk now. I plan to release version 0.4 in January once
I've written a shed load of docs...

Will

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 12:18 PM, Andy Robinson <andy at reportlab.com> wrote:

> As an attempt to generate some content and balance out the "jobs"
> discussion....
>
> Why don't a few people here tell us what they got up to this year?
> Neat projects at work, things you learned about Python in 2010, things
> you've been playing with....
>
> I'm having a mad day but will try to post mine tonight or tomorrow...
>
> - Andy

Will McGugan
http://www.willmcgugan.com