[python-uk] emacs and python and emacs-starter-kit

Bruce Durling bld at otfrom.com
Sun Mar 7 16:26:45 CET 2010

Hi,

I know from a number of python dojos that most of you don't use emacs, but I
thought there might be some people lurking out there who might have an
opinion on this.

I'm currently using emacs-starter-kit [1] for my emacs set up having had
.emacs files for .emacs.d directories lovingly handcrafted (or copy and
pasted from emacswiki.org) with thousands of lines (though many of them were
skeleton templates.

While I really like emacs-starter-kit, the python support is poor. It also
seems like there are a number of different ways for python to be supported
in emacs (python-mode.el, python.el, ropemacs).

Does anyone have any configurations or cool emacs python tips that they want
to share? I'd like to look into improving the python support in
emacs-starter-kit and I'd be interested in getting some suggestions.

cheers,
Bruce

1. http://github.com/technomancy/emacs-starter-kit