[python-uk] Eclipse + Pydev?

Darren Worrall dw at darrenworrall.co.uk
Wed Mar 17 22:30:18 CET 2010

On 17/03/10 18:16, David Craddock wrote:
> Without wanting to start an editor discussion or, more often as they are
> called, arguments - I would like to find out what people think of the
> Eclipse + Pydev combination for python development.
>
> I'm keen to try this, but how does it work for you? If you use it, does
> it work well for you? Any complaints? Best features of this setup?
>
> Thanks,
> David

I use it a fair bit - for projects of reasonable size where a good
graphical debugger can be useful. It's big and chunky for sure, and I
_really_ wish it would break on exception by itself, but it does a job
for me, and the chunkiness is only really a problem when it starts. You
can turn it to Java and C very easily as well if you have to, which is a
plus. Given the choice I'd probably use Wing but pydev is pretty damn
good for free.

Django support is a bit lacking but Fabio has said that will be
addressed in the next release.

HTH

Darren