[python-uk] processing input from multiple files

John Pinner funthyme at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 11:53:20 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 14 October 2010 10:43, Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
> On 14/10/2010 10:34, Christopher Steele wrote:
>>
>> I've been trying to decode a series of observations from multiple files
>> (each file is a different time) and put each type of observation into
>> their
>> own separate file. The script runs successfully for one file but whenever
>> try it for more they just overwrite each other. I'm new to python and I'm
>> not sure how to go about efficiently running through the process once and
>> then appending to the output file for all other input files. Has anyone
>> done
>> something similar to this before?
>
> Hi, Chris, welcome to Python. A couple of things. This is a relatively
> low-traffic list, and gets used mostly for local events and jobs. You're
> welcome to post Python questions here but you'll get a broader readership
> (and more chance of an answer) from the main Python list:

>  or, since you're new to the language, the tutor list:

or even comp.lang.python

*or* come to the FLOSSUK unconf on Saturday (it's free) -
http://flossuk.org - where you will find  a number of UK Python people
and you could get some help. Bring your code and we could have a
critique session!

> Secondly, it's best to post up some code you've already written so people
> can get a better idea of the direction you're taking. Your description
> above is a little ambiguous, and code can speak louder than words..
>
> It doesn't sound hard to do what you seem to be describing, but let's
> see what you've got so far :)

Yes, the scope for helping is limited without the code!

Best wishes,

John
--
John Pinner