[python-uk] West Yorkshire Python Group Meeting - Thursday from 18:30 in Leeds

Peter Russell qwertyface at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 08:14:32 CEST 2011

 West Yorkshire Python User Group Meeting - Thurs. 11 Aug.

About the meeting
=================

We'll be arriving at Old Broadcasting House from about 6:30 onwards
for coffee and vaguely Python related chat.  At 7:30 there is a talk,
which is expected to last for about half an hour.  After that we will
head to a pub for more geeky chat.

The meetings are always good fun, and everyone of any level of
experience or interest in Python is extremely welcome.  Bring a friend!

Talk: "Block World" - Simon Davy
--------------------------------

Python and Ruby both are expressive, high level languages with many
advanced features. Most differences between them are syntactic rather
than semantic.  However one feature that Ruby has and Python lacks are
"blocks", and they are often touted as as one the best features of
Ruby the language.

In this talk, I'm going to introduce the Ruby block feature, which is
very useful but actually has some quite interesting semantics -
they're more than just anonymous functions. We'll look at the use
cases for blocks, and look at the idiomatic python solutions for those
use cases, where they exist. We'll finish of with a discussion of
whether blocks (as implemented in Ruby) would be a useful addition to
Python.

Experience Level:

 The talk should be suitable to anyone who knows a bit about Python or Ruby.

Of Interest To:

 This talk will be of particular interest to anywone who wants to
 compare Python with Ruby, or people interested in programming
 language design in general

Date and Time
=============
Thursday 14 July.  From 6:30pm, talk at 7:30.  Pub afterwards.

Location
========

Old Broadcasting House
148 Woodhouse Lane
Leeds
LS2 9EN

About the Group

The West Yorkshire Python User Group (WYPy) have been meeting monthly
since 2007.  Our meetings are free, and usually include at least one
talk, as well as a trip to the pub.

Our website is at http://wypy.org.uk .  We discuss our meetings on the
Python Yorkshire and Humberside Google Group
http://groups.google.com/group/python-yorks-humber/ and you can also
follow us on Twitter at @WYPython.