[python-uk] Python jobs at Rangespan

Jonathan tartley at tartley.com
Tue Jun 21 20:26:19 CEST 2011

Hey folks,

We seemed to decide the list is happy with a few appropriate job posts.
My new employer is hiring, and I'm excited about working here, so I
thought I'd share this with the list:

Rangespan is a six month old Python-oriented startup, currently around
ten people, based in Paddington Station, London.

In my first two weeks here I've been impressed by the high standards of
quality and the company's vaulting ambition. We provide high-scale
e-commerce technology to create a revolutionary marketplace between
major online retailers, and a vast network of suppliers, transacting
across millions of products daily. Development has progressed enough to
start deploying and demonstrating the reality of this vision, but is
still early enough that all of us have a substantial effect on the
future of the company.

We're looking for developers at a variety of levels, with strong
computer science backgrounds, and either stellar academic record or
proven industry experience. We'd like to see the sort of high profile
that comes with expertise and a pro-active attitude: Python core
contributors, conference speakers, open source contributors & project
leaders, thoughtful agile evangelists, and scalability experts. We'll
need a data scientist, too.

The sort of experience we're looking for includes:

    * Highly fluent in Python, experienced with Django, Amazon Web
      Services, MySQL and MongoDB.
    * Ability to contribute to an Agile environment, introducing new
      practices, refining our process, being strong on testing and TDD.
    * Expertise in architecting, coding & deploying RESTful web services
      & web applications.
    * Automated deployments to EC2.
    * Provisioning new hardware and debugging live code.
    * Ability to attract additional world-class software developers.
    * BS, MS or PhD degree in Computer Science or equivalent field.

The founders are ex-Amazon executives and engineers, and bring a wealth
of commercial and operational expertise. While the atmosphere is
informal and affable, the technical team is intimidatingly proficient.
We don't use recruiters, because they don't match up to the quality of
candidates we insist upon. To quote one of our founders "It's critical
to the success of our business to create the highest quality engineering
team possible."

Sorry I can't be specific about salary but it would vary widely
depending on the applicant's experience. Suffice to say my personal
offer was highly competitive for any industry outside of the city banks,
plus for senior roles there would be equity involved, which I judged to
be really attractive.

I'm happy to answer casual questions personally, or take receipt of
applications. Our formal job postings information is here:
http://rangespan.com/jobs/ but in practice I think we'd be a little
flexible about roles for the right applicant.

Best regards,

     Jonathan

--
Jonathan Hartley    tartley at tartley.com    http://tartley.com
Made of meat.       +44 7737 062 225       twitter/skype: tartley