[python-uk] [ANNOUNCE] Dynamic Languages conference 2011

Marco Fontani fontani at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 18:13:13 CEST 2011

Hi all,

I wanted to let you know about a conference we are organising in Edinburgh which (some of) you may be interested in.

The Dynamic Languages Conference has officially opened its website to registrations at http://www.dynamiclanguages.co.uk.

The Dynamic Languages Conference (26th-27th August) is a new, free of charge, event held in Edinburgh to coincide with the parent festival, the Turing Festival (http://www.turingfestival.com, 26th-28th August) which is the European Festival of Digital Culture and Technology (EFDCT), an official part of the Edinburgh Fringe Festival, the world’s greatest cultural and artistic event. Dynamic Languages Conference has been sponsored by a number of organisations.

The conference is aimed at bringing the Open Source Dynamic Languages together at one event where they can discuss in an open forum and compare the various methods they employ to achieve similar goals. We welcome people from any of the Dynamic Languages such as Perl, Ruby (including the Rails community), Python, PhP, Javascript etc., our goal is inclusion and sharing of experience and approach.

This year we are seeking speakers to talk on one of two subjects:

Dynamic Language and Application Development for the Internet which will be the Friday track;

Dynamic Languages and System Administration which is the Saturday Track.

This event, Dynamic Languages, is free though you will need to register to obtain a ticket to the whole of the event. The parent festival (Turing Festival) which runs over the same period has also launched its site and invites people to attend for a modest fee.

We are seeking speakers to attend the festival and they can also register and submit talks through our website athttp://www.dynamiclanguages.co.uk. There will be guest speakers talking at both the Dynamic Languages and Turing Festival. We are pleased to announce that the well known Richard Stallman will be our guest of honour and will speak at both the Dynamic Languages and the Turing Festival event.

If you do not have an Act account already please use the new user link to register for this event, Act only keeps your details for conference registration with other Act events it is not used for any other purpose or passed to a third party, you can then submit a talk or make your conference schedule when we publish. The closing date for talks is Friday 29th July and the Schedule will be released on Monday 8th August.

The Dynamic Languages event will be held in the magnificent Surgeon’s Hall on the Friday (26th August), and the Informatics Building on the Saturday (27th August).

The Dynamic Languages event has been originally organised by members of the Glasgow and NorthWestEngland Perl Mongers groups though we are seeking help/support from any other open source language group, if you are a member of such a group, or a leader then we would be happy to hear from you and to work with you to invite your community to this event. We are still seeking keynote speakers who may be able to gain sponsorship to the event.

Please submit this to all mailing lists, user groups or message boards that you know of or to any interested parties. If you have an idea for a small event to be run in conjunction to this event, such as a hackathon or BoF then please contact Mark or Marco who will be happy to try and work with you to achieve this.