[python-uk] Interested in a 'BBC Micro' in schools project?

Alan O'Donohoe alan at odonohoe.org.uk
Thu Oct 6 00:53:41 CEST 2011

Ok - I know I upset a lot of Pythonistas with my "BBC CodeLab" stunt at PyconUK. I do sincerely regret any upset I caused anyone, the talk was meant to stimulate talk and discussion about whether it was a good idea and how feasible it could be. I accept I was wholly misguided in using such a rouse when there was already so much good work taking place. I did have honourable intentions, but used nefarious means to achieve my goal of raising the profile of computing in schools.

Suffice to say, I will be eating 'Humble Pi' or HumblePy for some time to come. ;-)

So - imagine how surprised I was to discover in the last few days that the real BBC (not the one in my head) are actually seriously considering a BBC Micro in schools project! I thought my Christmas had come early! I don't wish to claim any credit for this, I am sure it was something that was already on the table before I came and opened my big gob.

If you don't believe me - that's ok with me. The fable of 'The Boy Who Cried Wolf' springs to mind.

So you don't need to take my word for it, Professor Keri Facer of Manchester Metropolitan Uni has been asked by the BBC to gather a network of teachers, programmers/developers and university lecturers/professors to gauge te level of interest in a 'BBC Micro Project'

She requests that anyone with an interest email her directly at k.facer at mmu.ac.uk

Can I please urge anyone who values the principle of allowing children in the UK to experience a little (or a lot) of what programming is to contact her and express your interest.

If we want the BBC to sit up and take an interest - we need to show our level of interest and commitment to this cause.

Alan O'Donohoe
@teknoteacher
07791 126056