[python-uk] Dojo at PyconUK

Nicholas Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Fri Sep 9 15:08:55 CEST 2011

On Fri, 2011-09-09 at 13:23 +0100, John Pinner wrote:
> On 9 September 2011 13:02, Tim Golden <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:
> > On 09/09/2011 12:04, Nicholas Tollervey wrote:
> >>
> >> Here's one from me to kick things off:
> >>
> >> Roman Numeral Calculator - e.g. XI - III = IIX (Apparently, it's not
> >> as easy as you'd think. Parsing / converting between Roman numerals /
> >> numeric values apparently has some interesting "weird" rules to take
> >> into account). :-)
> >
> > For those who haven't been involved, Nicholas has been trying to
> > get us to vote for this Roman Numeral Converter pretty much every
> > London Python Dojo for the last two years :)

Shhhhh, don't tell them that! It'll never get chosen. :-/

> Maybe we should humour him, then.
> What I'd like to know, is what about zero?

Or floats...?

> > Maybe Coventry will be his lucky place?
>
> So we have to send him to Coventry so he can get it?

B'dum tish.

Here's another favourite of mine:

Create a simple text adventure game world. Navigate with commands like
n,s,e and w and look at your surroundings with the, er, "look" command.
Great fun if you want to understand directed graphs. :-)

A variation on this theme is a "Hunt the Wumpus" clone. But then Tim
would have to admit to *his* dojo "testing" secret.