[python-uk] Announcing the first London NAO robot hackathon, 21-23 September 2012

Dave Snowdon dave.snowdon at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 20:11:47 CEST 2012

Hi folks

You might be interested in this since the main development language of the
NAO robot is python (there is a graphical IDE but it's straightforward to
call into python).

We're hoping to get a mix of python developers and developers on
Aldebaran's dev program so we should have plenty of robots at the event -
you may have to do at least some of your development with a simulated robot
though depending on how many robots we have.

We have a very limited number of places though, so please don't sign up
unless you're serious about attending.

Disclaimer: I'm one of the organisers of this event

cheers

Dave

Announcing the first London NAO Robot Hackathon!

UK NAO (www.uknao.com), the UK NAO usergroup is proud to announce that
general registration for the first London NAO robot hackathon is now open.
We aim to enable mixed teams of NAO developers (paid up members of
Aldebaran Robotics developer program)  and python hackers to develop cool
robotics applications. The hackathon will take place at UCL from  6pm
Friday 21st September until 5pm Sunday 23rd September (after which some
there’ll be an informal social at a local pub).

NAO is a state of the art humanoid robot produced by Aldebaran Robotics
(based in Paris, France) who are one of our sponsors. The NAO runtime is
Linux-based (the current version is based on Gentoo) and python is the main
development language.

This hackathon is aimed at experienced python developers only. However, we
will be providing an introduction to developing for NAO at the beginning of
the hackathon.

Thanks to our sponsors (Aldebaran Robotics, Eurisko & O’Reilly) we are able
to offer the following prizes for the applications that most impress the
judges:

   - Google Nexus 7 tablet
   - Karotz smart rabbit (www.karotz.com) <about:blank>
   - A selection of books from O’Reilly

We’ll also be providing lunch & dinner on the Saturday and lunch on Sunday
and each participant will receive a London hackathon t-shirt.

We only have a very limited number of places. Please DO NOT register for
the event unless you are sure to attend. If your plans do change later
PLEASE PLEASE let us know (email dave.snowdon at gmail.com) so we can free up
your place.

Schedule

   - Friday from 6pm: registration, keynote talks, team organisation,
   social event & dinner (UCL & The Marlborough Arms)
   - Saturday: Hacking! & breakout sessions
   - Sunday until 5pm: More hacking, then demonstrations and prize giving.
   - Sunday from 5pm: Beer at The Marlborough arms

Rules

   - All participants must be physically present during the daytime hacking
   time (Saturday & Sunday)
   - All applications must be developed on-site
   - Prizes are awarded for applications, not people - it’s up to teams to
   divide the prizes amongst themselves
   - Teams limited to a maximum of 5 people
   - The organisers (Carl, Christie, Dave, Joe, Tim) and employees of
   Aldebaran Robotics can develop (their own) applications during the event
   but these will not be eligible to win prizes and cannot participate in a
   team.
   - In order to gain entry to the venue participants must wear the name
   badges that will be given to them at registration (Friday evening).

How to register
Please go here to register for the hackathon
http://www.uknao.com/2012-london-hackathon (links to eventbrite) and be
sure to choose the correct ticket type (or your registration may be
rejected).

Since not everyone will be able to access Aldebaran’s forums we’ve created
 a forum on our site www.uknao.com/ so please also register there.

   - Looking to join a team or attract team members:
   http://www.uknao.com/forum/team-building
   - Discussion of project ideas:
   http://www.uknao.com/forum/project-discussion
   - General hackathon chat: http://www.uknao.com/forum/hackathon-general
   - Questions about writing software for NAO:
   http://www.uknao.com/forum/nao-development

Further information
Hackathon venue & hotel info: http://www.uknao.com/location

You can find out more about NAO on Aldebaran’s website:
http://www.aldebaran-robotics.com/en/Discover-NAO/Key-Features/hardware-platform.htmland
see the current version of NAO in action here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNbj2G3GmAo  You can find out more about
Aldebaran’s developer program here:
http://www.aldebaran-robotics.com/en/Solutions/For-Development/developer-program.html
(you don’t need to be developer program member to participate in the
hackathon).

You can download a trial version of Choreographe (the NAO development
environment) here:
http://www.aldebaran-robotics.com/en/Discover-NAO/Software/choregraphe.html?language=en-GBand
documentation can be found here:
http://developer.aldebaran-robotics.com/doc/1-12/