[python-uk] FlogTheDogs.com : computer and programming related gear (plus site)

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Tue Aug 28 14:20:57 CEST 2012

Hey all,

I'm trying to slim down my unneeded possessions, much of which is computer and programming related gear (including some Python books). Ebay is useless for "locally collected" stuff, so I've developed my own site for selling and giving away stuff for local collection. I'm hoping that as well as helping me get rid of my excess gear it will also be a useful resource for other people to sell their stuff.

The site is: http://www.flogthedogs.com/
Computer gear (hardware, gadgets and tech books): http://www.flogthedogs.com/category/1/
Some XBox accessories (etc): http://www.flogthedogs.com/category/10/

Built with Python, Django, openstreetmap and a few other open source tools. The site itself isn't *yet* open source because (*ahem*) the tests are in a terrible state. It's also a young site, so I'm still adding features to it - although all the basic functionality (including new user registration) works fine. Probably the next step is building a json api so that I can add in page sorting and filtering via ajax.

There are some interesting features, like search by distance from a postcode, which I hope to write up in some blog posts. Not *terribly* useful until there are more items that aren't just in *my* postcode (although I do now have six users on the site!).

Anyway, I hope this is of interest and even potentially useful...

All the best,

Michael Foord

--
http://www.voidspace.org.uk/