[python-uk] hexagonal Django

Daniel Pope lord.mauve at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 16:36:42 CET 2012

I go a little way in this direction. I rarely go as far as dependency
injection for business logic, but a good habit I picked up is to ensure
that my business logic is put in appropriate places somewhere other than
view functions, and all queries are kept with the models (ie. as Manager
methods), and all the presentation operations are template tags and
filters. That way the view contains little more than just connecting
queries to business logic to templates, which is useful when it comes to
understanding how an application was plumbed. In fact I've just used this
to quite rapidly port a Postgres backed Django app to entirely
ElasticSearch backed. Because I had defined my queries in terms of Manager
methods it wasn't hard to reimplement them one-by-one with equivalent
ElasticSearch searches. It would have been much harder if I'd littered
.filter()/.exclude() calls all over the place.

Something that was useful for that and slightly mitigates Django in this
regard is that the lazily-evaluated, sliceable QuerySet has become
something of a pattern, to the extent that you can sometimes sort of plug
QuerySet-like result objects, such as those from PyES, MongoEngine,
couchdb-python etc, into logic built around querysets. It also helps that
Django templates are very forgiving.

While interviewing for Python developers I found numerous candidates who
when presented with a generic OOP problem would immediately start writing
Django models, with the result that the solution exhibits exactly the kind
of dependency problems that article describes. For similar reasons, we now
have an application where the cryptically terse dictionary keys favoured by
hardcore MongoDB geeks leak everywhere, including template code and
client-side javascript.