[python-uk] Python Developers - ReportLab, Wimbledon, London

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Tue Dec 11 12:45:01 CET 2012

On 11 Dec 2012, at 11:38, Andy Robinson wrote:

> On 11 December 2012 10:51, Andy Robinson <andy at reportlab.com> wrote:
>> We are looking for people who are smart, get
>> things done and are good team players.
>

> For all employers out there....  my HR guru goes to all the seminars
> on employment law, and is very current on what we can and cannot do.
> She has told me that our latest round of ads are wrong because
> explicitly asking for SMART people is discriminatory against THICK
> people.   You can ask about skills, but not about innate
> characteristics like age or sex (which we all know), and apparently,
> now, brains.
>
> Anyone else heard this kind of total bollocks lately?  ;-)

We just submitted a job ad to a University placement scheme site and there was a whole load of info there about what you can and can't say. e.g. you couldn't ask for someone 'energetic' as it implied ageism. *facepalm* I remember a while back someone from aUniversity IT dept looking at me in horror at our job advert. They said they had to ask *exactly* the same questions of each candidate regardless of how the candidate answered or whether relevant or not. Seemed to me impossible to actually assess someone's ability or suitability if they were that strict.

-Matt

--
Matt Hamilton, Technical Director
Netsight Internet Solutions Limited

Registered in England No. 3892180
Registered office: 40 Berkeley Square, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 1HU