[python-uk] Python-UK Google Plus Community

Tony Ibbs tibs at tibsnjoan.co.uk
Tue Dec 11 20:39:18 CET 2012

On 10 Dec 2012, at 20:47, Duncan Booth wrote:

> Surely that's more of a "won't" than a "can't"?

OK, true enough.

> Your post to this list has both names clearly displayed

Indeed - I'm posting here to a list where (if anyone knows me!) it might be by either name. And it's not something I actually care *desperately* about - I like both forms of my name.

> and Google+ would let you do the same albeit by marking your usual name as a nickname
> and it would appear in parentheses exactly as it does on your Facebook profile.

The Facebook account is probably temporary, as I needed it to login to something for a project, and there was no workaround.

Anyway, this is not the place for me to talk about my reasons for wanting or not wanting a Google+ account, since I'm fairly sure no-one else cares!

> I do agree though that there are many people who simply don't want to give all their personal data to such sites, and that has to be kept in mind when suggesting we all decamp from a mailing list to a community:

This point of Duncan's is probably more relevant to more people.

It's also worth noting that I am an avid used of google code and happily use google groups - it's just one policy I object to.

Tibs