[python-uk] word chains: impossible ones

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Sun Jun 17 14:51:22 CEST 2012

On 17/06/12 12:08, Tim Golden wrote:
> Since we're on the subject -- although going increasingly off it -- I
> very much recommend an article by the retired teacher who translated
> Harry Potter into classical Greek. Obviously it's interesting to see
> what he's done with modern words. But what's particularly fascinating is
> the challenges he faced when, for example, translating aspects of colour
> or natural history -- things which we hardly think of as problematic
> when translating into a modern-day language.
>
> http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~loxias/harry_potter.htm

Fascinating, and a sort of reverse of the challenge
facing Lindsey Davis when she transplanted a film noir/
Sam Spade type detective from 20th Century USA to
AD70s Rome.

However, it's kept me from the drier language paper
I'm supposed to be reading for work, on "LEI-nouns and PI-adjectives
are key building blocks of a new common financial language."
<http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publications/Pages/speeches/2012/552.aspx>
[1]
It's still OT, but I mention it here as it will be of interest
to some on the list...and there seems to be some Python work
going on with FpML - which doesn't seem an ideal answer, but
still...

  - Richard

[1] Which does finish with an indirect reference (Picasso)
     to μίμησις - bringing us back to Tim's link :)

--
Richard Smedley      Free Software for Social Banking Institutions
                                                http://Cuprium.org/

http://twitter.com/RichardSmedley        Sustainable 3rd Sector IT
http://www.linkedin.com/in/richardsmedley
                                 http://identi.ca/richardsmedley/