[python-uk] London Dojo Idea: Module of the Month / Lightning Talks

James Broadhead jamesbroadhead at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 14:17:32 CET 2012

On 19 March 2012 12:43, Nicholas H.Tollervey <ntoll at ntoll.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Last week the London Python Code Dojo cat-herders were discussing the
> possibility of making the lightning talks a permanent feature with the
> following considerations:
>
> * Talks *strictly* limited to 5mins with an additional 2mins for
> questions.
> * No more than 3 lightning talks per dojo.
> * At least one of the talks to be titled "Module of the Month" where
> someone gives us the skinny on a core module or well known / useful
> external module.
> * Lightning talks to be recorded and posted on a ldbpydojo YouTube
> channel and aggregated via http://pyvideo.org/.
>
> We'd want to post the videos under a CC like license (c) whoever the
> speaker is. Within only a few months we'd have quite a number of
> short, useful videos on Python given by a diverse number of dojo members.
>
> We'd like to know if this idea is a go-er..?
>
> N.

Definitely a good idea - provided that there's an obvious timer
available to the presenter.
Perhaps a "no interactive demos" rule would be good, as these always
take more time than you'd imagine.

For weeks with fewer than 3 talks, it might be nice to show videos
from other events in that time slot(or from other Dojos etc.).