[python-uk] London Dojo Idea: Module of the Month / Lightning Talks

Jonathan Hartley tartley at tartley.com
Mon Mar 19 15:08:41 CET 2012

On 19/03/2012 13:17, James Broadhead wrote:
> On 19 March 2012 12:43, Nicholas H.Tollervey<ntoll at ntoll.org>  wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Last week the London Python Code Dojo cat-herders were discussing the
>> possibility of making the lightning talks a permanent feature with the
>> following considerations:
>>
>> * Talks *strictly* limited to 5mins with an additional 2mins for
>> questions.
>> * No more than 3 lightning talks per dojo.
>> * At least one of the talks to be titled "Module of the Month" where
>> someone gives us the skinny on a core module or well known / useful
>> external module.
>> * Lightning talks to be recorded and posted on a ldbpydojo YouTube
>> channel and aggregated via http://pyvideo.org/.
>>
>> We'd want to post the videos under a CC like license (c) whoever the
>> speaker is. Within only a few months we'd have quite a number of
>> short, useful videos on Python given by a diverse number of dojo members.
>>
>> We'd like to know if this idea is a go-er..?
>>
>> N.
> Definitely a good idea - provided that there's an obvious timer
> available to the presenter.
> Perhaps a "no interactive demos" rule would be good, as these always
> take more time than you'd imagine.
But I *like* interactive / live-coding demos! I'd rather make sure the
speakers know they **will** be cut-off in mid-stride if they overrun
than attempting to govern duration by the fairly indirect proxy of talk
format.
> For weeks with fewer than 3 talks, it might be nice to show videos
> from other events in that time slot(or from other Dojos etc.).

Jonathan Hartley    tartley at tartley.com    http://tartley.com
Made of meat.       +44 7737 062 225       twitter/skype: tartley