[python-uk] London Dojo Idea: Module of the Month / Lightning Talks

James Broadhead jamesbroadhead at gmail.com
Mon Mar 19 15:16:28 CET 2012

On 19 March 2012 14:08, Jonathan Hartley <tartley at tartley.com> wrote:
> On 19/03/2012 13:17, James Broadhead wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps a "no interactive demos" rule would be good, as these always
>> take more time than you'd imagine.
>
> But I *like* interactive / live-coding demos! I'd rather make sure the
> speakers know they **will** be cut-off in mid-stride if they overrun than
> attempting to govern duration by the fairly indirect proxy of talk format.

So do I, but in my experience they're the easiest way for the
presenter to completely lose track of time. If we were talking about
two 7.5 minute talks, yes. For a 5-minute talk though ...

I quite liked the semi-interactive (pseudo-interactive?) presentation
shell from last time's default argument talk, in that it managed to
replace slides with alternating printed code examples and running code
(without the presenter touching the keyboard). {Was a link to that
shared around?}