[python-uk] Salt Stack meetup drink in London

Rachid Belaid rachid.belaid at gmail.com
Fri Nov 30 01:09:11 CET 2012

I m not a Puppet users but a Chef one.

Initially I was considering that the language behind the conf management
didn't matter.

But I realise that it affect my understanding of the tool because I m not
able to read the source code as easily that I can do in most of Python tool
that I use to understand  their inside mechanism.

And even If I can read ruby to some extend of some black magic, it leaves
me dependent on what the documentation provide me. I personally feel the
need of tool that I can own.

Since a year that I follow this project, I amaze by the progress that they
have done by a keeping a tool easy to get started.

R.

On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:39 PM, John Lee <jjl at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Nov 2012, Rachid Belaid wrote:
>
>  Hello,
>>
>> I have been in touch with the people behind Salt Stack :
>> http://saltstack.org/
>>
>> One of the developers is coming next week to do some training on Salt.
>>
> [...]
>
> The usual suspect in this field is puppet.  Puppet has a lot of users, so
> presumably a lot of canned, working configuration components.  So, a
> question for those more clued-in than me about puppet: What problems does
> it leave us with -- through omission or commission -- that Salt Stack
> solves, or might solve?  Problems *other than* not being written in Python!
>
> (Like perhaps lots of people, I've worked with in house home-grown
> puppet-like systems, but not puppet itself.)
>
> The github readme focuses more on features than the problems that it
> solves over the status quo, and does not mention puppet, but hints at
> problems in other systems with:
>
>  * covering the whole range from small to large numbers of hosts
>
>  * working with multiple geographical sites
>
> and in the Randall Schwartz interview video, I think these were mentioned:
>
>  * execution time for operations on large numbers of hosts, and where
>    the command to run depends on information gathered from those hosts
>    rather than from a central database
>
>  * lack of polymorphism across systems (example mentioned was a
>    generic "install this package" command in Salt)
>
>  * verbosity of puppet configurations
>

> If you consider being written in Python significant (and I guess I do, to
> some extent) the same question goes for bcfg2, and any other similar tools
> written in Python.  And also for <favourite deployment system here>!
>

> John

Rach Belaid
Director at Iron Braces Ltd
Flat 9 240B Amhurst Road, London N16 7UL
Phone : +44 75 008 660 84
VAT : 114 2764 36