[python-uk] The perils of reply-to

xtian xtian at babbageclunk.com
Thu Jan 3 16:51:36 CET 2013

On 3 Jan 2013 15:19, "Jon Ribbens" <jon+python-uk at unequivocal.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 03, 2013 at 11:40:51AM +0000, Andy Robinson wrote:
> > In the light of this morning's, er, entertainment, are the Python
> > developers on this list (well, all but one of them...) happy with the
> > way it currently works?
>
> No. Reply-to-list is almost never correct. There is even less excuse
> than usual (which would be almost none) on a "technical" list.

I agree - I had been chortling at the hapless recruiter for hitting
reply-all when she meant reply. I didn't realise that she'd actually hit
reply, in the pretty reasonable expectation that it would do the same thing
it does in (almost) every other circumstance.

While I hope I'd be alert enough to spot the error before sending if I'd
done the same, anyone I've worked with would agree that it's a 50/50 chance
at best, depending on day and mania-level.