[python-uk] The perils of reply-to

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Thu Jan 3 18:13:57 CET 2013

On 3 Jan 2013, at 17:07, Jon Ribbens <jon+python-uk at unequivocal.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 03, 2013 at 04:41:27PM +0000, Antonio Cavallo wrote:
>> like this?
>>
>> http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=50e5b456e4b04de5024affff
>
> I don't want either of those options, I want the proper, standard
> list behaviour, which is "Reply-To unchanged from the sender's email".

However sincerely (and obstinately) you believe in the correctness of your desires, the mailing list exists to serve its users - not any notion of correctness. The majority of the subscribers who have expressed an opinion, either in this thread or the poll, prefer reply-to-list.

FWIW on lists where reply-to goes to the individual I *very* regularly see messages accidentally sent only to the original sender and not to the list. This is regularly a (mild) impediment to communication. I very rarely see the opposite (public replies that were meant to be private). So the cure is largely worse than the disease.

Michael