[python-uk] The London Python Dojo is this Thursday

DL Neil pyuk at getaroundtoit.co.uk
Sat Jul 13 05:18:54 CEST 2013

>> If I'm in a team where other people are way more expert than me, I
>> will never want to take the keyboard and start coding something.

> Hmmm. Perhaps there's a perception issue here. Speaking for myself, but
> -- I believe -- channelling the other organisers, I would say that we're
> far more interested in people having a go than in what the team's
> finished product is like. Again: a lot depends on who's in your team.
>
> Certainly I have no problem with watching someone code slowly and trying
> to get a hold of what's going on, maybe learning a bit. Likewise I have
> no problem with someone choosing to observe rather than code in the hope
> of seeing how other (perhaps more experienced) people do things.

>> Another person could simply say: mmm... interesting but... not for my
>> level. And stop coming. Do you really want this?
>
> When all's said and done, if someone doesn't think it's for them, then
> it's not for them. We can try to be as accommodating as possible, but
> you can't please all the people all the time.

Isn't the concept of "dojo", that whilst all strive for mastery, each is
at a different level along the path?

This not so different from any other club/group. Quite often solved by
different evenings (but then 'seniors' have to turn-up twice else no-one
to lead the 'juniors' - see above fear), or by having different 'grades'
at different times during the meeting.

Thought: use the numbering system to form teams. Start the meeting with
easier topics during which no 'senior' will take the keyboard (or at
least not the lead) but restricting themselves to asking design
questions, eg what-if or have-you-thought-of...; then later moving to
more difficult challenges where the 'intermediates' take control/command
the pace; and finally the 'seniors' grasp some nettle and others watch
(and marvel?) - but are allowed to ask questions to seek explanations/learn!

As for this Python predilection: what other choice is there?

Sympathise with the always-in-London thing though. Now that am over one
hour north of Auckland it's a 30-something hour trip just to make it to
a meeting which wouldn't be so bad except for getting home from the pub
afterwards - haven't found a cabbie yet who'll drive this far
out-of-town at that hour...

--
Regards,
=dn