[python-uk] The London Python Dojo is this Thursday

andrea crotti andrea.crotti.0 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 13:50:54 CEST 2013

2013/7/14 Carles Pina i Estany <carles at pina.cat>

> Hi,
>
> On Jul/14/2013, andrea crotti wrote:
>
> > The fact that we are working on complex problems means that everyone
> > is rushing and only using techniques that *he/she already knows*,
> > because that's the only way to get something done.
>
> sometimes has been too complex. But sometimes I just downgrade the
> "fancy problem" to something easier.
>
> Last Thursday I could rephrase the problem to:
> One have 6 rows. Write two random words in two different rows:
>
> -row 1: aword
> -row 2:
> -row 3: someotherword
> -row 4:
> -row 5:
> -row 6:
>
> Write an across word with the regular expression ^w.o..." (column 2) and
> another one "^o.m..." (for column 4).
>
> For me, part of the exercise sometimes (in my opinion) is to find what
> in some literature they call "MVP" :-D (if we go fancy, Minimum Viable
> Product I think).

Which in a way is great and is a very good skill, but then what happens is
that every group end up solving a very small subset of the problem and
there isn't really much to compare with the others from the
design/implementation point of view.

I'm not saying it's bad, just saying that it's probably not exactly what a
coding dojo normally is..

> > The other thing I don't like so much is the size of the groups, it's
> > hard collaborate in 4/5 people leaving everyone involved, and we waste
> > a lot of time understanding how to split the task and how to merge the
> > things together.
>
> it depends on the group (or the mood of the group) and problem.
>
> As mentioned, similar problems happens in other place. For example at my
> tennis table club: mix of levels, some advanced players don't want to
> play with beginners. Some other advance players give too MANY
> suggestions to beginners and the beginners cannot process all at the
> same time and then it's not fun but stressful for them.
>
> Also, I have to recognize that some months I'm in a more programming
> mood, other months less programming mood (due the Dojo being after a
> work day).

That's true of course, to me the important thing would be that everyone has
fun AND learn something, which could be a new Python idiom, a new algorithm
or anything else.. Rushing solutions doesn't really let you do it, and it
seems more like work than a dojo to me..