[python-uk] The London Python Dojo is this Thursday

a.grandi at gmail.com a.grandi at gmail.com
Mon Jul 15 10:45:37 CEST 2013

I propose to meet in person somewhere, before next Dojo, and gather
the ideas proposed in this thread, to understand together how we can
improve the dojo. What do you think about?

On 14 July 2013 16:58, Nicholas H.Tollervey <ntoll at ntoll.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just catching up with this thread...
>
> Regarding mismatch of skills. In teacher parlance this is called
> differentiation - setting things up (in a classroom or event like the
> dojo) so participants of different levels can all still have a
> positive learning experience.
>
> The usual way *I* do this is to point out that attendees have
> responsibilities: if you're a beginner you *must* ask questions and
> not accept confusing, jargon filled gobble-de-gook as a satisfactory
> answer. Alternatively, if you're an experienced Python developer your
> practice as a programmer and understanding of the way things work is
> improved by reflecting upon and explaining in as simple a way as
> possible the problem or solution at hand.
>
> As for sticking to any "dojo" format - I think that "painting by
> numbers" (blindly following a dojo recipe) is not a great way to go.
> My advice is always to do what works for you (as a group). If you're
> not getting what you want from the dojo - mention it (as has happened)
> and, if required, make an improvement. To my mind, this applies
> equally to our current team based format as it does to the original
> more formal way of running things.
>
> I deal with most of these things in this blog post (especially the
> presentation at the end):
>
> http://ntoll.org/article/how-to-run-an-awesome-code-dojo
>
> Regarding problems: they need to be solvable in about an hour. Some
> problems suggested in the dojo are blatantly bonkers. Some look
> interesting but are, after a little reflection, obviously going to be
> hard (like this month's). I know *I* try to guide the choice of
> problems when I'm acting as cat-herder so we find a challenging,
> do-able and fun problem to solve. ;-)
>
> The dojo appears to be a do-ocracy and I'm pleased to see that we, as
> a community, are coming together, discussing how the dojo can be
> improved and I'm pretty confident that "stuff will happen". We're a
> cosmopolitan group so there's I don't see why this can't be reflected
> in the way we do things in the dojo. If you want to cat-herd a dojo
> please get in touch - it's not as hard as the name suggests and it's
> actually quite a lot of fun.
>
> Nice one!
>
> Nicholas.
>
> On 12/07/13 11:24, a.grandi at gmail.com wrote:
>> Thank you for the nice evening guys :)
>>
>> It was amazing to meet you all and to try to learn something new.
>>
>> I have a suggestion for the next time. Maybe it's just me that I'm
>> a newbie... I don't know...but... I would suggest to split us in
>> groups/projects with this target: experts, intermediate, basic.
>> This will allow new people to partecipate and maybe people like me
>> to code something.
>>
>> This was my second Dojo I attended and even this time I didn't feel
>> at the level of coding the proposed problem. After a while it can
>> be boring :P

> [...]

Andrea Grandi -  Software Engineer / Qt Ambassador / Nokia Developer Champion
Ubuntu Member: https://launchpad.net/~andreagrandi
website: http://www.andreagrandi.it