[python-uk] Reading list

Michael sparks.m at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 13:25:02 CEST 2013

Hi,

When I came across python I'd been coding for a long time in a variety of
languages. Because Learning Perl had been a good book for learning perl, I
bought Learning Python. Hated it. Put me off python for years.

Came back to learn it again, and read through "How to think like a computer
scientist using python". It was brief enough to skip through rapidly in
contexts I already understood and go from a standing start in python to
something useful in a couple of days. I've recommended it to others since.

Beyond that Practical Python by Magnus Lie Hetland is a good book, and is
divided into two parts that are essentially  "learn the language" and "see
it in use in projects". The second part I feel is more useful to
experienced developers, even though the projects are of course by the
nature of book form toys. I don't know what the revamped version (Beginning
Python) by the same author is like.

I don't use either any more unsurprisingly!

Michael.