[python-uk] Suggestions / best practices for deployment

Kris Saxton kris at automationlogic.com
Wed May 15 13:10:18 CEST 2013

Hi Harry (and list)

Just to expand on what George was saying.

Salt (http://saltstack.com) is a remote execution (fabric) and configuration management (puppet, chef) framework written in Python and using ZeroMQ as the transport.  I do automation for a living, started with puppet but now prefer to use salt where possible - it's truly magic and catching on fast (it's one of the most active projects on GitHub).
<shamelessplug>
I gave a talk about using and extending Salt at the last London Python Meetup, the video is here if you're interested: http://skillsmatter.com/podcast/java-jee/my-experience-of-using-server-management-framework-salt.
</shamelessplug>

You can use Salt to spin up cloud-based VMs as well configure them and there are Salt modules for managing the likes of virtualenv, databases and webservers.

Looking forward to the TDD book : )

Kris

--
Kris Saxton