[python-uk] Suggestions / best practices for deployment

Matt Hamilton matth at netsight.co.uk
Thu May 16 13:06:44 CEST 2013

On 16 May 2013, at 11:52, Stestagg wrote:

> The Zope 'brand' got trashed back in the bad old days.  If things have truly improved, then the sensible thing to do would be to release the new code in a way that has no obvious links to the name 'Zope', and let that stand on its own merits.

Well, that has sort of happened, Zope 3 got renamed to BlueBream. But most of the Zope Toolkit stuff still has the name in it. But alas people can't see past the name, which is a shame.

> Another factor here, is that the current trend is towards loosely coupled, modular systems, look at flask or (to an extent) django.  The feeling of having to 'buy in' to an ecosystem goes against the python ethos, in my opinion.

Django? You are kidding me right? They have taken the same monolithic approach that Zope took. Hence my comments about Pyramid, they learnt from that and it is highly modular and you can use the bits you want (e.g. choose your tempting system, choose your ORM or ZODB etc).

If you look at Plone, which is one of the two major systems still built on Zope2 (the other being Zenoss) then you will see that Plone is highly modular. A base Plone 4.3 install is comprised of 247 eggs, 54 of which are in the zope.* namespace Probably why we need Buildout! ;) 'Zope2' which was the old Zope application server is just 1 of those 247 eggs.

-Matt

--
Matt Hamilton, Technical Director
Netsight Internet Solutions Limited

Registered in England No. 3892180
Registered office: 40 Berkeley Square, Clifton, Bristol, BS8 1HU