[python-uk] copyright info in source

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Mon Sep 9 20:53:26 CEST 2013

On Mon, 2013-09-09 at 14:18 +0100, Jonathan Hartley wrote:
> A small Python project of mine is apparently being included in Chromium,
> because I've had a bug report from them that my source files (plural)
> fail their build-time license checker.
>
> They'd like me to include a license and copyright info in every source
> file (including empty __init__.py files).
>
> I've responded that I don't want to be unhelpful, but I don't believe in
> putting duplicate license and copyright info in every source code file.
> To my mind, it belongs in a single central place, i.e. the project
> LICENSE file.
>
> Am I being unreasonable and/or daft?

Sadly, although it would be nice to have a file that says it applies to
all files and so be very DRY, this will not work in UK and USA law,
possibly also other jurisdictions.

The licence statement has to be in each and every individual file since
in UK and USA law each file is deemed a separate work.

If you check FSF and other FOSS licence places they will set this out as
the process because of this problem.

Some IDEs even have plugins to sort this out for you!

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk