[python-uk] copyright info in source

Doug Winter doug.winter at isotoma.com
Tue Sep 10 11:02:13 CEST 2013

On 09/09/13 19:53, Russel Winder wrote:
> Sadly, although it would be nice to have a file that says it applies
> to all files and so be very DRY, this will not work in UK and USA law,
> possibly also other jurisdictions. The licence statement has to be in
> each and every individual file since in UK and USA law each file is
> deemed a separate work. If you check FSF and other FOSS licence places
> they will set this out as the process because of this problem. Some
> IDEs even have plugins to sort this out for you!

This.

There have been many, many cases of open source projects with valid
LICENSE files that turn out to have a couple of files from somewhere
else that are not appropriately licensed.  I don't know if anyone
remembers the mplayer saga on debian-legal, for example.

By putting a (c) statement and license summary in every file you are
removing the risk from someone who uses your code that they are going to
end up in a difficult position later.  Google are being reasonable in
protecting themselves here.

Although getting licensing right is amazingly dull, it is relatively
easy if you use a good license just follow the instructions provided
with it.

FWIW, personally I recommend the Apache License 2.0 as the best license
available right now (if you don't care about copylefting), and it has
very clear instructions in the appendix:

That notice should be included in every file, because each is a
potentially independent work.

Cheers,

Doug.

--
Telephone: +44 1904 567330, Mobile: +44 7879 423002
Switchboard: +44 1904 567349, Fax: +44 20 79006980

Registered in England.  Company No 5171172.  VAT GB843570325.
Registered Address: Tower House, Fishergate, York, YO10 4UA