[python-uk] copyright info in source

Jonathan Hartley tartley at tartley.com
Wed Sep 11 09:48:34 CEST 2013

On 10/09/13 20:07, John Lee wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2013, Andy Robinson wrote:
>
>> On 9 September 2013 19:53, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:
>>> The licence statement has to be in each and every individual file since
>>> in UK and USA law each file is deemed a separate work.
>>>

>> Russel, thanks.  That's interesting.
>>
>> The practical issue is "how not to forget over time".  A test in a
>> test suite, or a hook in a setup /release script which walks the files
>> and warns you would be very useful for anyone who has to do this.   We
>> used to have a subversion commit hook once upon a time, but DVCS made
>> it trickier.
>
> I've seen it done in a special "coding style test suite" (that gets
> run along with all the other tests).  Slightly nicer than a push hook
> IMO because you see it earlier and because it works the same way as
> all your other automated tests of your code.  There was a bit of
> special code so that you got one failure per coding style violation I
> think (including one per missing copyright statement), but those are
> bonus points.
>
> Maybe somebody has written a test runner plugin that does that? My
> quick searches didn't turn one up, though there is this, which could
> easily be adapted (not a plugin, and looks like it wants to be)
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12227443/is-there-a-plugin-for-pylint-and-pyflakes-for-nose-tests
>

> John

I don't think it should be a test runner plugin, so much as just a test.
Maybe a big common utility function (in a pypi package) which a tiny
custom test function can then call to parametrize it for your project.

--
Jonathan Hartley    tartley at tartley.com    http://tartley.com
Made of meat.       +44 7737 062 225       twitter/skype: tartley