[python-uk] Cryptopals study group

Peter Inglesby peter.inglesby at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 22:35:56 CET 2014

Hi all,

You may have heard of the Matasano Crypto Challenges
<http://cryptopals.com/>, a series of challenges designed to help people
learn about cryptography, through the breaking of cryptographic systems.
>From their website:

"This is a different way to learn about crypto than taking a class or
reading a book. We give you problems to solve. They're derived from
weaknesses in real-world systems and modern cryptographic constructions. We
give you enough info to learn about the underlying crypto concepts
yourself. When you're finished, you'll not only have learned a good deal
about how cryptosystems are built, but you'll also understand how they're
attacked."

I'm planning to tackle these over the next few weeks and months (in Python,
naturally) but to ensure that I follow through with this
turkey-curry-and-port-induced bravado, I was wondering whether others would
be interested in joining me.  We could tackle one problem set a month,
attempting the problems individually, and then discussing our solutions and
any difficulties via some as-yet-undecided medium -- perhaps IRC or
Hangouts or just plain old email.

So: if you're interested, drop me a line, and we can try to work something
out.

Cheers,

Peter.