[python-uk] What is community involvement? was: DJUGL - Django User Group London: this evening (April 22th) at 19:00 c/o WayraUK

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Apr 24 01:44:49 CEST 2015

Well, the purpose of the list isn't to keep any of its members comfortable, but I'm sorry this frank exchange of views isn't welcome to everyone. I personally feel that it's much better for people to say what they mean, and have a frank exchange of views. But I quite understand that some people would rather just see purely meeting-related stuff on the list.

The relationship of recruiters to Python communities is a perennial topic. As a complete outsider (I've never met Jon or attended any of his meetings) it sounds like he's at least marginally clued-up on how to interact with open source communities. Somebody doubted this (perhaps because of prior experiences with idiot recruiters, who appear to be legion) and so someone else better-informed provided information to dispel the doubter's ignorance (which I define merely as lack of specific information).

On that basis I'm looking forward to meeting Jon and encouraging him to continue to engage, but since none of the principals in the conversation appear to be uncomfortable about it you may prefer to simply not read the rest of the thread.

--
Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com / +1 571 484 6266 / +44 113 320 2335 / @holdenweb