[python-uk] Library advice + anyone built a real time bidder?

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Fri Mar 27 11:54:09 CET 2015

On 27/03/2015 10:47, Hansel Dunlop wrote:
> Happy Friday Python People! (yes, you're happy, because it's Friday)
>
> Two questions for you:
>
> 1. I'm releasing a library. That I wrote in 2.7. But I want it to make it
>     compatible with 2.7+. What's the best approach for this? Especially
>     when a bit of code for 2.7 is a SyntaxError in 3+
>
>          raise test_exception, None, test_traceback   #   Syntax error in 3+
>
>          raise test_exception.with_traceback(test_traceback)  #   3+ api
>
>    So, do I write a convoluted bit of code that detects if I'm in 2.7 and
>    wraps the exception in something that emulates the 3+ api?
>    Do I have two similar modules, and decide which one to import based
>    on Python version? Do I have two different versions?
>    That seems like an obviously daft idea... but?

(Hopefully) useful links:

http://python3porting.com/noconv.html#handling-exceptions

http://python-future.org/compatible_idioms.html

https://docs.python.org/3/howto/pyporting.html#update-your-code

I'm not sure if they exactly address your case, but hopefully they'll
take you in the right direction.

TJG