[python-uk] Announcing the Yorkshire Inquisition

Cory Benfield (Lukasa) lukasaoz at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 09:29:45 EST 2016

> On 7 Dec 2016, at 14:15, Daniel Pope <mauve at mauveweb.co.uk> wrote:
>
> Idle thought: can the code of conduct be violated by accurately quoting Time Person-of-the-Year Donald Trump?

I’d say that depending on the context of the quote and the specific content, certainly.

For example, if you were using Time Person-of-the-Year Donald Trump to provide supporting evidence for an assertion that people of some nationalities were more likely to be sexual offenders, then I think you’d find that the quote violates the CoC. In particular, I should note that Time Person-of-the-Year Donald Trump is frequently not Respectful. That means that he would frequently be in violation of this Code of Conduct were he a member of the Python community.

But as always, context matters. Anyone claiming that quoting Time POTY Donald Trump is *always* ok or *always* forbidden is dealing in absolutes, and as we know, only Sith deal in absolutes.

Cory