[python-uk] URGENT: Volunteers for teacher collaboration please... :-)

Steve (Gadget) Barnes gadgetsteve at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 17 12:40:31 EST 2016

On 17/02/2016 08:30, Nicholas H.Tollervey wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I realise I must sound like a stuck record about this sort of thing -
> please accept my sincere apologies.
>
> TL;DR: I need volunteers from around the country to support a twilight
> meetup of teachers happening in various parts of the UK. It's not
> difficult and likely to be a lot of fun and will only take a few hours
> of your time in the early evening of a single day. I may be able to
> cover travel expenses. Please get in touch. More detail below...
>
> Computing at School (see: http://www.computingatschool.org.uk/), a grass
> roots movement of computing teachers in the UK would like to run a
> series of training courses for "Master Teachers" in MicroPython on the
> BBC micro:bit during March. These teachers would go on to act as the
> seed / catalyst for other teachers who require Python training during a
> series of training events over the summer. Put simply, this is an
> exercise in Python evangelism for teachers.
>
> Master teachers are those who have demonstrated a combination of deep
> subject knowledge and teaching skill. Put simply, they're the most
> senior teachers you can get. They're also the leaders in the field and
> what they say or do influences many hundreds of their colleagues.
>
> The idea is for the master teachers to get together with Python
> developers (that'd be *you*) for a few hours to work through MicroPython
> related educational resources. These events would happen at university
> based hubs around the country. As a Python developer you'll *get a BBC
> micro:bit* and be expected to offer advice, answer questions and
> demonstrate Python as needed. Honestly, it's not an onerous task and
> will only last a few hours in a "twilight" session (i.e. after work).
>
> The locations and proposed dates are as follows:
>
> London: 25th February
> Birmingham: 9th March
> Nottingham: 15th March
> Lancaster: 16th March
> Newcastle: 17th March
> Hertfordshire: 21st March
> Manchester: 23rd March
> Southampton: 23rd March
>
> It's easy for UK Python to be very London-centric. This is an
> opportunity for Pythonistas throughout the UK to step up and get involved.

I think that this is a marvellous idea and a great response so far but
have a bit of a moan to voice.
Is it computers, python, teachers or Education that don't reach the West
of England - If there were sessions at Bristol, (almost next door),
Exeter (an hour down the road), or even Plymouth at a push I would be
jumping forward to volunteer but it seems that the West Country is very
under-represented.

Keep up the good work but please look West.

--
Steve (Gadget) Barnes
those of my employer.