[python-uk] Windows Clipboard Module

John Sampson jrs.idx at ntlworld.com
Tue Jun 28 07:47:23 EDT 2016

I am using win32clipboard module with Python 2.7 in Windows 7. I have
code which uses GetClipboardData() and SetClipboardText(argument).
Before running the code I copy text into the Windows clipboard from a
proprietary program. I know that this program adds garbage to the end of
the string, namely null-value bytes and possibly other invisible stuff.

When I paste the contents of the Windows clipboard into a Tkinter text
box I get the string obtained by GetClipboardData() although I have
since run SetClipboardText(argument).

If I paste the contents of the Windows clipboard at this stage into the
Boxer text editor I get the string placed by SetClipboardText(argument).
If I paste into the Tkinter program again, or into Vim or into Microsoft
Word, I get the string obtained using GetClipboardData(). I can repeat
this as many times as I like - one string into Boxer, the other string
into the other programs.

I deduce that both strings must be in the clipboard at the same time,
but it depends which program has focus which string is pasted in using
Control v.

Is there a way of showing the contents of the clipboard, garbage and
all? I would like to find a way of making the Windows clipboard behave
as it is supposed to - new contents overwriting the old.

Regards

John Sampson