[python-uk] New Southampton PUG: talk about Matplotlib 2.0, Thursday 19th May

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Wed May 11 12:12:39 EDT 2016

Hi all,

We are starting up a Python User Group in Southampton. Next Thursday,
the 19th of May, we'll have core Matplotlib developer Jens Nielsen
talking to us about Matplotlib 2.0. Python's most popular plotting
library is getting a major overhaul of its default plot styles. The new
'viridis' colour map, designed around human visual perception, was
already used for a key figure in the paper announcing the discovery of
gravitational waves earlier this year. If you're in or near Southampton,
come along and get the inside story!

When: 6pm, 19 May 2016
Where: Nuffield Theatre (Southampton Uni Building 6), room 1083

We will also be having lightning talks, up to 5 minutes each, with a
suggested theme of plotting and visualisation. If you want to do a
lightning talk, please let me know.

Refreshments will be provided, and the conversation will continue in a
pub after the meeting proper. :-)

All the information about the group is available at:
http://southampton-python.github.io/

If you'd like to hear about future meetings, please sign up to our low
traffic Google group:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/southampton-python-user-group

Finally, we're looking for speakers for future events - if you'd be
happy to give a talk, please let me know. If you live in London, it's
quite possible to get the train back after the talk and be home by 10.
Or spend an hour in the pub and still be home by 11!

Thanks,
Thomas