[python-uk] Coding "Bootcamps"

Nicholas H.Tollervey ntoll at ntoll.org
Wed May 18 06:25:46 EDT 2016

As someone with a background in Philosophy I can see where your friend
is coming from. ;-)

As far as I can tell, the bootcamps are not worth the money for the
following reasons:

* They're expensive for what you get.
* They're all about cramming facts.
* They teach specific technologies rather than software engineering.

Having said that, some may be quite good but your mileage might vary.

What I would do is find a university that does evening classes (such as
Birkbeck College, University of London) or sign up to the OU for a
taster, and take an introductory course in programming. I'd also
encourage your friend to think of a problem they're interested in and
use that as the basis / inspiration for learning things. If they want to
learn Python, bring them to the London Python Code Dojo and get them to
engage with the community. Finally, if they want to jump in with both
feet, they could sign up for a "conversion" MSc in Computing (for people
with undergraduate degrees in non-computing subjects). That's what I did.

Hope this helps,

N.