[python-uk] Coding "Bootcamps"

PyUK at getaroundtoit.co.uk PyUK at getaroundtoit.co.uk
Wed May 18 06:53:49 EDT 2016

On 18/05/16 22:25, Nicholas H.Tollervey wrote:
> As someone with a background in Philosophy I can see where your friend
> is coming from. ;-)
>
> As far as I can tell, the bootcamps are not worth the money for the
> following reasons:

I'm not a great fan or supporter of "boot camps" either. They tend to
produce rather 'narrow' graduates. Perhaps applicable to programmers
'converting' to a new language, but (a lot) less-so for non-IT folk
trying to break-in to the industry!

How about MOOCs?

Dr Chuck (of 'the book' fame) teaches one from Georgia Tech on Coursera
(https://www.coursera.org/courses?languages=en&query=python)

Similarly edX offers a range of either scheduled or self-paced offerings
(https://www.edx.org/course?search_query=python)

Plug other keywords into their search facilities, eg [learning]
"programming", for wider topics...

Disclaimer: I'm a staff member on the W3C's "HTML5-1 Coding Essentials
and Best Practices" course, using the edX platform, and have enjoyed
many MOOCs in technology and training topics.

--
Regards,
=dn