[python-uk] Coding "Bootcamps"

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Thu May 19 13:53:20 EDT 2016

On Wed, 2016-05-18 at 15:52 +0100, Zeth wrote:

[…]
> Obviously I don't know anything about where you friend is in terms of
> skills but he could just host his own bootcamp at home, nothing
> really
> beats just getting down and writing software, a week doing that would
> never be wasted.
[…]

One of the things about doing a course is that there are others
physically with you and the person running the course. There are
negative as well as positive aspects of this, but the most important
thing is getting quality feedback on code you write so as to direct you
to idiomatic quality code in the language being used.

When learning on your own, there is the risk of not getting good
idiomatic code practices and styles. The OU are well aware of this even
if they sometimes get it wrong. Any self learner needs to have access
to quality mentors to provide quality feedback so that the self-
directed learning effort always heads in the right direction.

I am sure the "Python UK" virtual thingy could help put self learners
in touch with people willing to do lightweight non-local mentoring.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk